Every Day A Birthday

click image to download pdf of artwork

I know I said I was taking a break till the 29th but I couldn’t resist – today is my birthday. Yep, the day after Christmas. I don’t think I ever remember a time that someone asked me, “When is your birthday?” where my response didn’t bring a look of sorrow to their face. “What a bummer” or “That’s too bad” or some such comment always came in the form of an apology for the date my birthday landed on.

This has always seemed a little odd in that I love my birthday. In fact, I remember a time as a boy when my mom and dad gave me the opportunity to celebrate my birthday on my half birthday allowing me to have my birthday in the middle of the summer far away from Christmas. It never really was something I thought about. My birthday was 26th of  December and that was the day I want to celebrate.

I always wondered why everyone else thought I was getting the short end of the birthday stick and I didn’t. I always wondered why everyone thought I was getting ripped off and I felt like the luckiest kid in the world.

As I look back now I realize it’s because my parents and my family went to great lengths to make sure the my birthday was celebrated on its own. The presents I received were always birthday presents. I never received “Christmas-birthday” presents. We always had a special meal for me on the 26th where the family would get together and celebrate my life.

It was never a Christmas “add-on.” It was never an afterthought to the holiday. It was its own holiday–it was its own day–it was my day.

All of this work and all this effort was put forth to make my day a special day. It paid off. Every single year I look forward to the holidays with a little extra anticipation. For, not only did it mean Christmas but it met my birthday as well. A day I looked forward to as much as any other child look forward to their day.

I often think about what would happen if we put the same work in the same effort into making the days of our lives special and unique. If we took the time to celebrate every day we are given. If we made every day a birthday.

Consider how that would change your outlook on life. Consider how much more excited you would wake up each day. Consider how your willingness to make the most of every opportunity would increase if you could learn to separate each day and celebrate.

Birthdays are special days, celebrating makes them so.  Celebrating each day like a birthday makes each day special. It keeps us from living a life filled with days that simply run together and fill our memories with nothing but a blur. Celebrating allows us to look back with our minds eye on every day and see memories filled with vibrant colors and clear pictures.

So, celebrate today. Take some time to reflect on what makes you special, unique and wonderful. Notice something beautiful and relish it as your own birthday present.  Take a moment to show some love to another so they can be a part of the experience–no one likes to celebrate alone.  Then, do the same tomorrow and th dy after that.  Celebrate every day, and when you do at the end of your life you will look back on a glorious existence filled with thousands of beautiful “birthdays.”

Jh-

If you would like a copy of Kolette’s birthday wish for me, click on image to download it.

Advertisements

12 Responses to Every Day A Birthday

1. Debi says:

Jason, I think December 26 is a perfectly wonderful day to have a birthday. My dad’s birthday was yesterday!
    Happy Birthday to You!
    Debi

2. darkeve says:

Happy Birthday!!

My birthday happens to be the 1st of January, so people usually tend to forget it. I like it though, the first day of the year has got to be a special day, right?

I don’t like celebrating my birthday though, I have no idea why, but I just don’t.

3. michelle says:

Jason, happy birthday! I too love my birthday… I celebrate the whole month of October (15). I do half birthdays for our kids. They love it as it is another reason to have their family over, their favorite dinner and a cake. They know there are no gifts as it is just another celebration for them being in our life. I think we celebrate, just to celebrate! Our latest celebration is to eat by candlelight once a week…even if it is a Happy Meal, and it is any random night of the week. Life needs to be celebrate! Have a fabulous day!

4. Jeanne Ann says:

Happy Birthday Jason! May you have a most fabulous belated day! See you in the Big Picture!

5. Sandi K says:

Happy Birthday, Jason! It is my BIL’s birthday as well. Here’s hoping this year is filled with blessings and safety.

6. Tasha says:

Happy Birthday! It’s nice to hear how you feel about your birthday. My husband just celebrated his 50th on the 15th and this is the first year I’ve heard him say he is happy it is this time of year. He said he likes the way everything is festive and decorated around his birthday. Thanks for your message too!

7. lisa says:

Happy Birthday Jason!

My son Joe was born on 12/26 too and he LOVES having this birthday because we’ve always, like your own parents, have made the day special for him and NOT as an afterthought to Christmas.

May you have many, many more happy, happy birthdays!

8. Lyn Meeker says:

I hope you had a very very happy day! … I have a January Birthday .. and while it is not just right after Christmas… I always loved it because what I didn’t “get” for Christmas .. I usually got for my birthday! And I admit .. when I was young .. my list was usually too long for Christmas.. (at least the year of all the barbie stuff!)…

9. melissa cavanaugh says:

Jason
    A very merry birthday indeed!! Have a wonderful year, can’t wait to see you in class!
    Melissa

10. Dianna Longoria says:

Happy Belated Birthday. Just found you and your site on the Gratitude Project .. my son’s BD is also December 26th and like your parents we always made it a special day. I’m glad your parents did the same for you. Everyone’s BD should be a ‘special’ day. Bless you.

11. Hello there, I was surfing around your site and noticed that many your images are not loading. Thought I should tell you

12. Virginia says: